Monday 30 March 2009

Of Sorrow and Romance















On the bridge:
A prisoner sighs:
'Tis close to sunset,
And like the sun my heart sinks lower and lower,
An unblinking eye,
A final blaze of red fury,
Mine hands tug at the irons that hold me fast,
Ah my beloved city, I now behold you one last time,
Before darkness takes me forever.


Down beneath him, a different tune is sung:
Gent:
So gently the water carries us.
Lady:
As tender as your caresses.
Gent:
The sun is setting my love.
Lady:
Indeed it is, indeed it is,
Hold me and kiss me,
Upon this gondola,
Beneath this bridge,
Of loving sighs,
For then eternal love,
Shall be forever ours.

***
The Bridge of Sighs in Venice.
I visited the bridge at the wrong time. Reconstruction was going on... hence the unsightly scaffolding.

No comments:

Post a Comment